3.15.2009

new focus

Due to my delay of service again, my attention has switched back to life in Mankato. That consists of me having a lot of free time. Most of that time is consumed by watching college basketball on tv which I love to do and one of the positives of being around til June is the fact that I can watch the NCAA tourney now. (I am currently watching the Big 10 championship) The rest of my time, which was used by going out to eat the week before I left for philly, is switching to cycling. With 45+ degree days i cleaned my bike off and took it out for a couple of rides this weekend. I am rediculously out of shape but it was fun to get out of the house and exercise again. So here are a few highlights, if you want to call them that, of my 35 miles this weekend.

  • This is my first spring with my new bike and apparently I am not used to snow melting at different paces. On saturday I headed out the Red Jacket trail and soon ran into an ice skating rink where the trail once was. My bike ride turned into a walk for about a half a mile. After that I realized that the next 3 miles through the woods would be impossible. My only other option was to climb the hill next to hwy 90. It was dry but much to much for me to handle. I walked the last 100 m.
  • Dogs. I got chased by two dogs on Sunday. This was my first experience while I was on a bike and I thought they would just leave me alone. But these were dogs used to open space and these two chocolate labs chase me a ways until I slowed down. I will admit I was a little scared but after I stopped they left me alone. Later on im pretty sure I stepped in dog poop as I was stopped at a light. I eyed up every dog for the rest of my ride sure they would break their leashes and chase me, maybe taking time to pee on my feet.
  • People. My mind wanders from topic to topic as I bike and people were all over the streets and trails this weekend. Mothers running alongside their 12 year old sons as they bike, pushing them for a faster pace on their way to a destination clearly unatainable for the son. Old men running/walking. Young men at the same pace. Bikers legs completetly covered in mud. (I can only imagine what I looked like after 20 miles.)
I plan on accepting my invitation for Tanzania tomorrow and going through that process again. Hopefully I can get a job so I dont have to blog everyday and bore people to death.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I found your blog through peacecorpsjournals.com. That sucks about the Madagascar program but are you now going to Tanzania in June???? If so, I'm in your group! I've been trying to get in touch with the few of us who have invites so if you wanna talk more my email address is carriehoffman1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete