11.22.2011

Cookies before bed

Hello World,
I feel like you have been left out of the loop... and for that I am sorry. Truth is, I have gained a new direction since we have last talked. Not necessarily a new direction as much as heading or route to my destination. Switched modes, settings, cities. Shocking I know but who really wants to write a Graduate Thesis? I am going to spare you the details because if you really care you already know or can find out pretty easily.

I work for the Red Cross. Since August I have... moved in with total strangers, voluntarily taken a job in an office where I am the only full time male staff member, fought a hurricane (Irene), taught 4 year old kids, taught mentally handicapped adults, taught retirees, seen 3 houses burn and 3 homeowners cry, met countless outstanding people and one truly amazing woman in the process (Mom look what your little boy has accomplished!). If you asked me what the most memorable part has been, I would say meeting this girl Laura. And I don't think that answer would change any time soon.

I am not sure where I am going with this post because it is a little spur of the moment, a realization that I haven't done this in forever and I truly enjoy it. Laura reminded me. This girl, who I am happy to call my girlfriend, inspires me to be a better, more genuine person. Laura and I met in early October and how we met will be for another post but that is beside the point. The important thing is that we met. The few weeks since I have met her have been infinitely better than my time here before. I have to many compliments to list about Laura and I don't think anyone wants to hear about what we read when we are at Barnes and Noble together. As per the blog title, Laura has real skills in the kitchen so I am eating some of her amazing cookies right before bed. This girl has been a blessing for me personally and I hope she has some ok things to say about me too.


...Story time...
At work my co-workers and I have a good time. We make fun of everyone in the office and you definitely have to roll with the punches. My boss is very good at punching, both throwing and taking. However she does not have the largest vocabulary and she sometimes doesn't understand words that are being used which makes her an easy target. I find this HILARIOUS since I am becoming a pretty good judge of the extent of her vocabulary. Playing Apples to Apples was pretty entertaining. If you don't know, you get read a word on a card out loud. This is typically an adjective or adverb and there are 3 other synonyms listed for people such as my boss or younger children. If I could remember the word specifically it might be a funnier story. I hear this one particular word and instantly look over to my boss to read her face. I know she has no clue what that word is and as the judge reads the other 3 words I burst out laughing, knowing that she has no clue what any of those 4 words mean. Ages 8+..... ok if you say so. Needless to say she didn't win but came surprisingly close to beating me.
Another story involves a staff meeting and a random discussion about cooking. One of the other ladies in the office was talking about making something with lentils. I was sitting across the room from my boss and, once again, noticed a puzzled look on her face after the word lentils was used. I wasn't the only one to notice this look and the whole room busted out in laughter. People begin making fun of my boss and another woman claims that they were just being facetious (thank you spell check). My boss also has no clue what this means and that sends us into another 5 minutes of non stop laughter. I explained to her that lentils are beans and facetious is another word for sarcastic. She takes this as me being snotty and she now calls me a sarcastic bean whenever I say something cocky.

All this being said, I am really happy with where I am, what I am doing and who I am with. I cant wait to catch up with some hometown friends and family over this thanksgiving weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment